There are many bio kefir benefits, but have you heard of Kefir before? Kefir is a fermented drink, made using cow’s milk or goat’s milk. Kefir grains are added to milk.
The grains sound a bit gross, they are cultures of yeast and lactic acid bacteria that look a bit like cauliflower.
There are many benefits to the drink, here are some of them:
A 175ml serving of Kefir provides you with:
- Protein: 6 grams.
- Calcium: 20% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 20% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B12: 14% of the RDA.
- Riboflavin (B2): 19% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 5% of the RDA.
It’s a probiotic.
Kefir is a more powerful probiotic than yoghurt. It contains around 30 different microorganisms. It’s a much more potent source of probiotics than other fermented dairy products.
It has antibacterial properties.
Some probiotics in kefir are known for fighting infections, including Lactobacillus kefiri, which is unique to kefir.
This probiotic can help inhibit the growth of various harmful bacteria, including Salmonella, Helicobacter Pylori and E. coli
Great for healthy bones.
Due its high calcium content, kefir can help fight against bone diseases. It also helps the absorption of calcium by cells.
May protect against cancer.
Probiotics are thought to help inhibit the growth of cancer cells, too. Studies have been done on test tube studies but are yet to be proven on people. But watch this space!
Kefir supports healthy digestion.
It’s well known that probiotics are good for digestion. But did you know that probiotics like kefir can treat diarrhoea? They can also lead to major improvements in various digestive diseases.
Bio-tiful Dairy sent me some products from their range.
The range includes:
- The original Bio-tiful Dairy Organic Kefir milk drink (RRP £1.85/250ml, £2.95/500ml)
- Bio-tiful Dairy Organic Riazhenka – this has a naturally slightly sweeter taste than Kefir, thanks to the milk being gently baked before the beneficial bacteria is added (RRP £1.85/250ml, £2.95/500ml)
- For fruit lovers, Bio-tiful Dairy’s new Kefir smoothie range combines the company’s unique organic Kefir with carefully selected fruits and herbs to produce a light and elegant tasting drink that is perfect as a naturally energising breakfast, healthy snack or guilt-free dessert. Available in two flavours, Honey & Mint and Morello Cherry (RRP £1.99/50ml).
The morello cherry one was spot on, if you like cherry yoghurts. The drinks are similar to yoghurt but a bit thinner. I’d say they’re quite unsweetened, too. The honey & mint and original ones are much better poured over cereal or fruit for added sweetness.
Have you tried Kefir before?