It’s the end of January, most peoples New Year’s resolutions are starting to wear off. If you’re struggling to stay motivated at the gym, or even get there at all, it might be time to get yourself a gym buddy. Keith McNiven of www.rightpathfitness.co.uk has shared some reasons why getting someone to go to the gym with you can really motivate you and help you get the results you want.
1. WORKOUTS BECOME FUN – motivating yourself to get out of bed, go to the gym and do a workout isn’t easy, especially if you don’t have a daily routine in place. Having a gym buddy means that you’ve got someone else holding you accountable and expecting you to show up – you won’t want to let them down!
2. YOU WON’ T BE LONELY – going to the gym alone isn’t for everyone. You may feel self – conscious, like people are watching you or judging you. Having a friend with you means you can focus on your workout and encourage each other. Laughing and chatting as you exercise makes the whole experience more enjoyable.
3. THERE’S HEALTHY COMPETITION – we’ve all got a competitive streak, even if you don’t know it yet! Although at first, it may seem intimidating, working out with someone else makes you perform better. Especially if your gym buddy is fitter than you are, as you strive to keep up with their pace.
4. THEY KEEP YOU ON FORM – working out with a gym buddy means you have someone with you to watch your form during exercises, especially when you’re using weights. This is even more helpful if your buddy has some experience of training, as they’ll know where to correct you and suggest new exercises.
5. IT’S EASIER TO TRY NEW THINGS – have you always fancied trying a new class but don ’t want to go alone? Gym classes are a great way to add variety to your workout s and they could become a regular part of your routine. Take a friend and you can be newbies together.
6. IT’S A CHANCE TO CATCH UP – if you only meet your buddy once or twice a week, by the time you meet up you’ll probably have lots to talk about. Make the most of your time in the gym and find out what’s new in their life. By the time you’ve had a weekly rundown, you’ll have run for miles!