Cardio is my favourite type of exercise. What I mean by this is I hate lifting weights more.
I can run for miles outside and be quite happy about this, but at the gym, this is a whole different ball game.
10 minutes can feel like 10 hours when you’re running in the same spot. I’m not sure why running just seems so much harder on a treadmill. Or why time seems to go so much slower on a treadmill than when I’m on the bike and cross trainer. But here are some things I do to keep my mind occupied while doing cardio.
- Listen to Podcasts. I listen to a variety Podcasts, some of them are blogging related and some of them are fitness related. The fitness ones can be especially motivating as you’re exercising! Some of my favourites are The Running Podcast, The Rich Roll Podcast and Marathon Training Academy.
- Listening to Serial. Serial is a Podcast, too, but it deserves it’s own shoutout. Serial is basically the audio equivalent of Making a Murderer. Season 1 follows the story of Hae Min, who was killed 1999. Her ex boyfriend was arrested and charged for the crime and it delves deep into the story to discover what actually happened. I was addicted to this and it got me through many gym sessions as well as long runs.
- Watch YouTube. I like to keep up with my favourite YouTubers are the gym. Most videos are just the right length to watch one on one machine, then move across. The Shaytards are my favourite to watch. I’ve also started watching a new channel called You Suck At Cooking which is so funny. You need to watch it.
- Watch Motivational Videos on YouTube. As as well as watching my subscriptions, I also like to search for videos that inspire me. These are usually videos where people talk about their weight loss stories, fitness routine or what they eat.
- Play Candy Crush. When using the bike, it’s time to play on your phone. I’m not as addicted to Candy Crush as I used to be, but when I was deep in, I used to play while on the bike and it made time go SO fast. You can do this with any game, really.
- Use social media. I also use the bike to catch up on social media, reply to Tweets, scheduling Tweets and using Pinterest. I also talk to my friends on Whatsapp or reply to comments in the WordPress app.
- Use supplements. Sports supplements might sound like a weird tip, but I find they give me a boost which makes my workout easier and fly by. I can’t believe the difference I feel if I have something to boost energy or a shake before a run or workout. The easier a workout feels, the quicker it goes!
So yeah, these are some of the things I do to make my cardio sessions go by a little quicker!
What are your tips?